January 4, 2015

Playing in the New Year!


I've had a lazy week - playing! The weather has been quite draining - hot and humid - and the air-conditioning doesn't quite reach into my sewing room as much as I would like. Motivation to do much sewing largely went out the window. So I spent the week playing! 

I decided that it was time to give my blog a fresh new look and I had fun playing around with blog backgrounds. This new one says a few things about me - I am an avid birdwatcher; I'm a romantic; I like a bit of whimsy and the colour apricot is one of my favourites. 


I played around with a new font and this one is going to appear in the new free Block of the Month wall quilt for 2015 and probably a few more stitcheries throughout the year!  

I can't talk about play-time without showing you another wall-hanging in my "Cupboard" series for children - My Sewing Room Cupboard:


As with all the others, it has removable parts for play and then makes a lovely wall-hanging when play is over. Mind you, I'm tempted to actually put this on my sewing room wall as I am so fond of it. Why should children have all the fun?


You can find the pattern in Country Threads magazine Vol 15 No 12.


I love how blue and chocolate go so well together.


I think I should make a REAL needlecase in this butterfly shape!


I cut up an op-shop doiley to make the shelves.

       

Learning how to use quilting software was another indulgence this week. I enjoyed playing with the various functions and designed two table runners. It's such a new experience to see what a project is going to look like before I start cutting and sewing! I can see it's going to be addictive. Then there was some playing with my Accuquilt Go cutter preparing the blocks. 

More playing on the computer means I now have a Logo for the new free BOM design ready to show you next week. I just have to stop playing now and start writing up the pattern for the first block!

I hope you have some time in your busy week for play.  Albert Einstein says that “Play is the highest form of research.”  What other motivation could you need?

Val

14 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Val, it must be the week for changing blog layouts as I have been 'playing' too. Yours looks great. All the best for 2015.

Christine M said...

Lovely new look, Val. I love your sewing room cupboard. It's gorgeous!

Regina vicentini said...

querida Val!
Tenho recebido seus e-mails e como sempre com trabalhos maravilhosos que alegram nossos olhos e bendizemos o Deus de nossas vidas pelos dons que a você foram concedidos. Ando entristecida e muito calada, talvez para um conserto que o Senhor queira fazer em mim. Obrigada por alegrar o meu domingo, pois através de ti posso ver o quanto Deus é maravilhoso! O Senhor derrame bençãos sobre tua vida! bjs

Unknown said...

Hi Val,
What a lovely new look blog -very fresh and sweet! Looking forward to the new BOM for this year. Happy stitching

KaHolly said...

Your new look is very fresh and inviting. Val, I just love your Cupboard Series. Your imagination and creativity really blows me away. It is obvious that you are going to have a wonderful new year.

Kate said...

I like your new look. I'm afraid to try changing mine in case I lose everything in the process. :(

sunny said...

Oh my gosh - that is sew cute! I want one for my sewing room!!

Natureluvr57 said...

Happy New Year! Simply love the wallhanging. Thanks for sharing

Tammy said...

I really like the new blog look. Great job.Now that sewing cupboard is definitely a must for sewing rooms in addition for kids to play with. I would definitely display it in my sewing room..

Sisbabestitches said...

The new look layout is lovely! I adore the new font you have used :)

Createology said...

Your new blog look is beautiful. How fun your Sewing Room Cupboard is. Having fun should apply to all ages and stages! Blessings and Creative Bliss...

Anonymous said...

The new blog look is great and very springy and light - I could do with some spring this week! I will send you about twenty degrees of cold if you want to send me twenty degrees of hot - F degrees, of course - they're smaller. LOL

The first thing I thought when I saw that butterfly was what a pretty needlecase that would make, and I see you think so, too. ;)

Lynn B said...

Loving your new blog Val and this stitchy cupboard is simply gorgeous!

Happy New Year!

Regina vicentini said...

Querida Val! Como sempre os seus dons nos encantam. Trabalhos lindos! bjs