March 11, 2012

Free Pattern Thoughts in Thread - Block 3


Another month has come around and it's time to give you Block 3 in the Thoughts in Thread quilt. This month we're focussing on noble or honourable thoughts. When we moved into our new home, I planted a lemon tree in a very large pot.  It's only been in there about a year but already it has a lemon on it. It's doing exactly what it is supposed to -  producing lemons! It's doing the noble, honourable thing! So my lemon tree got to be featured in this month's block:


and here's the block with a little bit of simple piecing to complete it:

You can download block 3 as usual from my website.

 Don't forget to upload photos of your completed blocks to my Flickr site. We all love looking at what you have done with the blocks.

I was very disciplined last week and wrote up the patterns for the two projects that hadn't been done. Having projects accepted for publication is a good incentive to get all the paper work organised! Three projects went off  to editors on Friday and one was to a magazine where I have never had anything published before, so that made me happy.  

I showed this little sneak peak of one of the projects on my Facebook page.  My love of the Victorian era took over and I went all out with embroidery, silk ribbon, rayon and silk threads and beads on this design:

 
I've put a couple of new patterns on my website.  They are a couple of my stitching accessories that were in Australian magazines a few months ago. If you live overseas and don't have access to our Australian craft magazines, you may be interested in them. You will remember my little Busy Bees Pincushion:

 You can find it here.

And below is my Trail of Roses scissor pillow.  It's a great little accessory and helps ensure you never lose your embroidery scissors. They are attached to the pillow with the twisted cord and sit in the pocket for safe keeping. 

 This pattern is available here.

With finishing the three projects for magazines last week, it means I've reduced the number of things I'm working on at the moment to just three. One is finishing a quilt which has come back from being professionally quilted.  It's all ready for the binding to be handsewn down, but it has been too hot and sticky to have a quilt near my lap, so it is draped over the lounge and I just enjoy looking at the lovely fabric and gorgeous quilting. Then I have another embroidery project on the go and a country style wall hanging full of applique. It has lots of detail and, as you know, I do "fiddly", so I'm having lots of fun stitching this one. I am using my "Dove technique" quite a bit for the applique and it is coming up a treat. Some sneak peaks another time!

Hope you have a great week of stitching.
Regards
Val

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Another lovely block! Thank you for sharing your talent and your thoughts, behind the designing of each of the blocks, with us.

(I followed you on Facebook, but deleted my FB account so am thankful to have your blog to visit.)

Allie said...

SO GORGEOUS!!! I love lemon trees and this is fabulous, Val! Thank you!! Congrats on getting your pattern writing done....oddly enough, I love doing that part, lol!

Sue from Cyprus said...

Val, your needlework is perfect and the detail is amazing. I have tried to do the bullion stitch but just can't manage it. I think perhaps I don't have the patients!! I also love lemon trees and we have two in the garden full of lemons. My children adore lemon pies, so I best be going....!!
Hugs, Sue from Cyprus x x x